Wednesday 9 March 2016

Happily Married

True love is one of those impossible things that can be believed six times over before breakfast.  See the Alice quote below.  Grownups organize life around "I" this and "You" that but toddlers are truly alive before that.  At a later age, from that same nature comes "Being in love" as male and females of the species.   Who we are is the superstructure and what we are is the matrix.  They work by different rules and have different goals.   They don't have to make harmonized sense all the time.  Just go with it and blink past the funny spots.  Which brings me to being happily married:

Happy and hamming it up
I wake in the morning and hold my wife very close to me, feeling her breathe as she falls back to sleep. The In Love matrix bubbles up with the same old thoughts:  "You are so beautiful.  You are soooo beautiful.  I love you. My darling, my beautiful darling. You are mine.   I will always be good to you". And on and on.

The superstructure that runs the show by day is thinking about making breakfast and designing roof trusses, about men and women at the square dance last night.  The matrix continues to bubble up, "my darling, adorable and precious, what a miracle".  The superstructure decides it's morning and heads for the showers.   This is like having two (wonderful) kinds of life in a single vehicle.   You don't have to make sense of love.  Enjoy it and blink past the rest  ---the unreasonably pleased, driven and giddy interludes and the jealous and possessive moments incompatible with being a modern..


From "Through The Looking Glass":
Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

THE OLD, OLD STORY:




The Colonel: "Yes, He was Senior Wrangler of his Year, and She took a Mathematical Scholarship at Girton; and now they're Engaged!"
Mrs. Jones: "Dear me, how interesting! And oh, how different their Conversation must be from the insipid twaddle of Ordinary Lovers!"
THEIR CONVERSATION
He: "And what would Dovey do if Lovey were to die?"
She: "Oh, Dovey would die too!"






No comments:

Post a Comment